Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Shanghai....very hai.....

Hi All here's the next episode in our travelling adventure...sorry about the weirdness of our blog header - I think the "Great Firewall of China" has blocked access to our blog - so we can't actually see what we've posted - Jeremy, feel free to tidy up areas that need it. I'm working on an area to post all our photos for those who have nothing better to do at work - you know who you are!

Guangzhou was great - the city is very modern and the people very polite. We had a banquet for my uncle's last day lecturing and I managed to put a death curse on everyone there by sticking the chopsticks into the rice once I was done....a big no-no as I later found out as that's what they do at funerals! So after that cultural debacle we managed to wade through the myriad of shopping malls and Miriam found a cool satchel/handbag that means I don't have to lug the backpack around everywhere we go - a very smart purchase....

The best thing about Guangzhou was on our last night when we went to some island where the locals were out in force and had public singing (chinese choir) and dancing (tango/waltz etc..) along the river-front - Both us and the locals had a ball and it made me think that it might not be a bad idea for us westerners to get out once in a while at night and do communal stuff like this. I even played badminton with one of the kids there (about 10) and I'm sure we'll see him on tv in Beijing next year.....

Shanghai is big, we met the rest of our "group" - two of my cousins and 2 friends of my uncle and we set off discovering the sights and sounds of Shanghai, one of the biggest cities in China. We went through a touristy but interesting part of Shanghai which showed traditional life and then went down a busy and packed shopping mall that made Rundle mall look insignificant.

One thing I've constantly noticed about China is the two differing parts of China - the old and the new. You'll probably see in any of our photos where we've taken a shot of some traditional building that in the background there's a gleaming sky-scraper or TV billboard. I hope in their drive for "modernising" China they don't lose the historic aspect of their culture...

We're staying on the 25th floor of a hotel in Shanghai - we've posted a photo to give you some idea of what it's like - we're in the heart of the city but there's less noise in our room than back in adelaide - I'm guessing it's the fact that we're so high up! Here's a photo from our bedroom window.
We're off to Guilin tomorow a small town of about 700,000 people. It's meant to be one of the most beautiful areas in China. It's a pity the Lonely Planet warned us that everyone will try and rip us off! But don't worry we're pretty sharp and no-one can get past our defences.....Stay tuned for our tales of woe and deception. We'll post details of our bank account for the transfer of funds if we lose it all...Jai J'en

7 comments:

Jez said...

Sounds fun, I saw lots of Shanghai on tv last night in the "things to do before you die" show. It was so excited thinking you guys were there too! Old vs new is certainly a concern, be a good time to be there now.

Yes I found your header sooooooo annoying I fixed it before I read your post... I thought you could see it now (obviously not). You *might* be able to use http://picasaweb.google.com to upload photos, you already have an account associated with this blog, just create a new album. But I *think* this aspect of google's sevices may be behind the Great Firewall of China... not sure.

So with my hacking efforts into your blog account complete, I'm now moving onto the other people who have left comments - I'm aiming for the big ones this time: their bank accounts...

I have a job interview this arvo, head-hunted, should be good.

Anonymous said...

Hi Miriam & Brad,
it sounds like you're having lots of fun. I can't imagine anyone ripping you two off!!

We saw Shanghai on TV last night on Getaway too. The guy ate this huge scorpion and then wondered whether he shoul have taken the stinger off it first. He also ate silk-worms done on kebab sticks.

The sino scribbles page is much better now that the big picture is smaller, you can actually see that you are getting measured.

Well we're just off to Adelaide so better go, love to you both,
Mum and Dad

Anonymous said...

Ben Janssen

G'day Crouches. Great to hear you are well. By the way Brad we wont let you back in Australia till I see posted photos of you eating dog or cat or anything we here in Australia deem disgusting to eat. Personally I would like to see you sucking down a chicken leg or four.

Enjoy...


p.s. is this a bad time to invite you guys around for an AFL grand-final day thing at our house?
If not you are invited to an AFL grand-final day thing at my house.

Jeremy if you read this you are also welcome to come.

Anonymous said...

Guys

thanks for the word pictures of your amazing experiences. You are no doubt growing so much. We all miss you and there are peole who you may not know when you get back. How cool is that.

Anonymous said...

the header looks fantastic now--how nice to have a personal hacker! ;) it's always interesting to read an update when you post one. glad to hear it sounds like neither of you have gotten sick or anything and are just having a good ol' time. dunno if you've heard but keep jan 12 free. :D

Jez said...

I want another post to read, I'm bored at work now. Don't tell me you're having too much fun. Maybe you need to tone it down a bit so you can find time to write. How do we know you haven't been sold off to work in a sweat shop making olympics merchandise? Think of your poor mother. It's been a week now. Come on, chop chop. It's all about me you know.

Lightbulb over my head (picture that please)... I could hack again and make up my own blog post impersonating you to share... just gotta make it believable... perhaps drop the man-eating spider twist I was just pondering... more likely to be man eating a spider rather than a spider that eats men, ha? come on! give us a juicy pic!

I s'pse not ha? sigh... only 11 more days of work boredom...

Anonymous said...

Hi Miriam & Brad,
we're back from Adelaide now and still no more pictures to view. You must be having too much fun. All Ok here,
Bye now,
Love Mum and Dad